Will be compiling lists like this regularly – sharing things I love that wouldn’t necessarily warrant their own posts otherwise.
- Sneak Peek: Me in my new stripper boots last night (the ones that hilariously came in “discreet” packaging). I swear my Gaga shoe complex existed before Gaga, though she has worn a version of these well on numerous occasions. Still test-driving them with various ensembles as to not look like an actual stripper, but after seeing them styled fantastically in this Oyster mag spread yesterday – I have no doubt I can do it.
- Getting excited for Industrie magazine – the magazine about behind the scenes. BoF got a peek inside.
- I love love love Susie’s DIY adventure in NY (and its follow-up here). She found some cheapo shoes and had some height added at East Village Shoe Repair to approximate this $460 Opening Ceremony look. A crafty girl after my own heart.
- THE fashion forum, the Fashion Spot interviewed me for their Blogger Style series. Woo!
- And if you’ll allow me to hog the mic for another minute, I also did a recent Q&A with Hellz Bellz! They make some bad-ass clothes, so check it out.
- My current mantra:
“One breath at a time is an acceptable plan” – Ani DiFranco, Tamburitza Lingua
- NYT Complaint Box: The E-Snub by Neil Hirschfeld
A typical job-hunt scenario with an empowering twist. I know this has happened to me too many times to count: You’re qualified enough to land an interview, conquer the interview, complete the requisite edit-test, sweat it out for days with no response, follow-up, wait weeks, still nothing. Crickets. Wind. Tumbleweeds. Nada. You get left in the dust and eventually, take a hint. We know you’re busy, but in the wise words of Stephanie Tanner, “How rude!” Given the time the job-seeker puts into this relationship a simple “thanks but no thanks” wouldn’t hurt. I love Neil having the guts to take a – albeit totally unprofessional – stand on the e-snub:
Back in the good old days, people used to duck your phone calls. Or just not return them. But in this, the electronic era, a whole new brand of disdain has come into vogue. The age of the e-snub is upon us. I have grown weary of this kind of “dissing.” People who seem to go blind, mute and limp when all you are seeking are a few keystrokes in reply. Prospective employers whose computers appear to crash when asked to give something resembling a definitive answer, one way or the other.
Annoying e-mail messages plague all of us, but those of a more legitimate nature are surely deserving of a simple reply. Unfortunately, basic e-courtesy is in short supply. So, having been burned in the past by e-boors, I decided that enough was enough. The magazine had left me in limbo. I was going to have my revenge…
- AnOther‘s list of Most Commonly Used Adjectives & Expressions in Fashion Magazines. As a writer, I know it’s easy to go on auto-pilot and use the most cliché of fashion terms. Ok, so this list isn’t that great BUT it is good enough to consult next time you get the urge to say “boho-chic” in your heds & deks.
- Julia Chesky’s thoughts on Miu Miu Spring/Summer ’10
“Stylists had a season off. [They] just used the entire collection for one editorial.”
Well said, as much as I continue to love & lust over this collection.
- Never Confuse Being a Nice Guy for Weakness by Peter Shankman
“Nice guys finish last” are fighting words to me and clearly Shankman, too. The classic Wintour/Coddington dichotomy if you will. Of course it’s not as simple as that, and any successful person will embody a bit of both, but this is a rant I’ve been meaning to write for a while and a great read.
- Style.com’s the Future of Fashion series. Hedi Slimane’s Q&A in particular is worthwhile for anyone currently in or aspiring to be in the fashion industry.
- Camille‘s Mega Hose mesh leggings by Complex Geometries. I’ve had these bookmarked since I saw them. Really hoping a certain someone saw them and made a birthday note… (my birthday is May 9th! Mother’s Day!)
- Beyoncé’s new video for “Why Don’t You Love Me?” Seriously. Who. Styled. This. Video!? Hated the song at first, but it’s growing on me. Visually, completely and totally my steez. In love.
- This video tour of Milk Studios Los Angeles. One of the best places to work (or party) in L.A.
- Another from Milk, this recap of Fashion Week Fall 2010. Great video with lots of very familiar faces.
Alrighty, going to end here. The longer I have this post sitting in my ‘drafts’ the more shit I keep adding… Have at it.
Favorites on the list? Anything you’ve seen lately worth sharing?