Ah, Tom Binns! I love his designs so so much, but like... well, pretty much everything these days, I can't afford them. So his tongue-in-cheek "Get Real" collection gave me faith and a really good laugh.
His laminated magazine collage jewels were a call to arms for the DIY set, and I was ready & packing heat... or an x-acto knife. The original Tom Binns versions sell for $200-ish at Collette, and I like to think even that price was Tom's own little inside joke. Good one, Tom...
What You'll Need/What You'll Do:
- Magazines (Vogue or an old ELLE Accessories work great)
- X-acto Knife
- Scotch Tape or Spray Adhesive
- One trip to Kinkos
- Closure (silk cord, string, safety pin, velcro, whatever)
- Cut out your favorite jewels. My thought process was "Oooh, shiny!"
- Get creative. Collage them together, forming a 'U' or 'O' shape, trying it on as you go, and using tape or adhesive to hold together until you laminate.
- Optional: make a color photocopy if you want to make more of the same.
- Laminate ($1/sheet at Kinkos).
- Cut out again, fasten, and voila!
This project also works great with just one "pendant" strung on a string, or safety pinned as a brooch. Soooo many possibilities that will make flipping through repetitive jewelry ads way more interesting. I've already started on a few more and, if you're interested, I might put some (including this one) up on Etsy.
[tom binns images via style.com]
Published by: Jazzi in DIY